5 Artists We Are Excited to See at Lollapalooza 2016

By Jose Burgos | Posted July 26, 2016

6359707218968182761485027386_lollapalooza-crowd-at-cage-the-elephant-lollapalooza-2014-by-joshua-mellin

Cage the Elephant at Lollapalooza 2014 | Photo: The Odyssey Online

This year, the annual Chicago music festival Lollapalooza will be be held from July 28 – 31 at Grant Park downtown. This year, the festival will be celebrating its 25th year anniversary since its founding in 1991 by Jane’s Addiction singer, Perry Farrell. With that in mind, the show this year will run for 4 days from Thursday to Sunday, unlike the previous years where the show ran for only three days. Doors will open at 11 a.m. and will close at 10 p.m. each day. With dozens and dozens of food and  craft vendors, the festival will be one of the biggest this summer covering over 115 acres of land.

Last year, the festival brought to the stages unforgettable artists such as Metallica and Paul McCartney, who delivered a once in a lifetime performance Friday and Saturday night, and Florence and the Machine closing Sunday night after the relentless thunderstorm.

Once again, the festival did not disappointed with this year’s lineup. Artists like Red Hot Chili Peppers, Radiohead, The 1975, J. Cole, and Lana Del Rey will all be performing in this year’s show. We’re excited to see all five bands perform along with the rest of the artists. This year’s show will be the biggest Lollapalooza yet.

1. Red Hot Chili Peppers

Red Hot Chili Peppers | Photo: Rolling Stone

A classic alternative rock band, the Red Hot Chili (RHCP) have been around since the early 1980’s. They have produced some of the best selling music with over 80 million records sold worldwide and have been nominated for multiple Grammy Awards.The band is made up of four band members, Anthony Kiedis  (vocals), Flea (bass guitar), Chad Smith  (drums), and Josh Klinghoffer (guitar). We are excited to listen to their new album, The Getaway, that was released in June of this year. Already one of their songs, Dark Necessities, has become a favorite from the album.

“Choose not a life of imagination”

―RHCP 

Because RHCP have been around for such a long time, they could stop making music at any time.  It is a must to see them in concert at least once, and what better time than to see them with a ton of other artists over the summer in Chicago.

2. Radiohead

Radiohead | Courtesy of Consequence of Sound

Along with the Red Hot Chili Peppers, an old school rock band, Radiohead will be performing at the Samsung stage on Friday night. Formed in 1985 in Abingdon, Oxfordshire United Kingdom, the band has been producing music for over 29 years.  With five group members: Thom Yorke, Jonny Greenwood, Colin Greenwood, Ed O’Brien, and Philip Selway, the band is still one of the most beloved bands of all time. With the release of their 1997 album, OK Computer, the band  achieved international popularity.

“We are accidents waiting, waiting to happen.,”

― Radiohead

It is without a doubt the band will play their most controversial song, Creep, during the show.  Release in 1993, but written by Yorke prior to the formation of the band, the song talks about being in love with someone, but feeling like not being good enough for them.

3. The 1975

The 1975 | Photo: Ticket Crusader

The English alternative rock band, an all time favorite for many people, will be performing at the Bud Light stage at 7 p.m. before our next top artist. We are ecstatic to hear their tops songs Chocolate, and The Sound live. The group is made up of four members: Adam Hann, George Daniel, Matthew Healy, and  Ross MacDonald whoo met during their high school years. They first began playing song covers together for school gigs before writing their own songs in 2002.

The band is currently touring North America promoting their latest and top hit indie pop album, I Like it When You Sleep, for You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware of It, which released in February 26th of this year. Their music has a distinctive soothing sound to it, similar to soulful music. It is perhaps why they are so additive to listen to.  If listening to them at Lolla will not be happening this year, the band will be touring throughout the states, including Mexico for the first time this October.

4.  Lana Del Rey

Lana Del Rey | Photo: Nicole Nodland

Elizabeth Woolridge Grant, better known by her stage name, Lana Del Rey, will be performing at the Bud Light stage on Thursday night right after J. Cole.  The 31 year-old musician became a household name after her  music video, Video Games, went viral  on the internet in 2011. Since then, her most famous songs have been soundtracks for movies such as The Great Gatsby, Maleficent, and American Horror Stories.  Her music has a baroque pop sound to it with the use of orchestra instruments. The eloquent sound of her music can be loved just by any music fan.

“Live fast. Die young. Be wild. Have fun.” 
― Lana Del Rey

It is no surprise, besides her go-gifted voice, why Lana is so widely loved by young fans- she’s got a way with words. Lana’s lyrics are so distinctive, yet many people could relate. The way the music flows with the sounds of her angelic voice creates a perfect song every time.

5.  J. Cole

J. Cole | Courtesy of WKYT

It is unfortunate that our next and last final must watch artist will be playing at the same time as Lana Del Rey Friday night at the Samsung stage. Nonetheless, it is expected that those who will be at the Samsung stage will witness a performance like no other. Gaining international recognition after the release of his mixtape in 2007, The Come Up, the 31 year-old Frankfurt born has come a long way with his style of rap that expresses and moves feelings

“They say things happen for a reason and people change like the seasons.”

―  J. Cole

J. Cole and Lana Del Rey are among the favorite artists young attendees are looking forward to see perform at the festival. It will be overwhelming to hear J. Cole play, Nobody’s Perfect, No Role Modelz, and Lights Please. For Lana, we are hoping to hear Summertime Sadness, Born to Die, Young and Beautiful, and  perhaps see Kim Kardashian do a guess appearance with her bestie Lana.