Review: “Dystopia” Brings Return to the Old Days

By Matt Jakubowski | Posted February 17, 2016

megadeth-dystopia

Megadeth is back to claim the title of “Heavy Metal Titans.” Their newest and 15th studio album “Dystopia,” brings back feelings of their old thrash days. There was a lot of drama circulating the band over the last few months with the sudden departure of Shawn Drover and Chris Broderick.

Fans wondered if there would even be a band anymore. Luckily, things moved quickly and Megadeth frontman Dave Mustaine brought in guitarist Kiko Loureiro from Angra and drummer Chris Adler from Lamb of God to replace Broderick and Drover.

Over the years Megadeth has had several changes in their lineup. The lineup consisting of Dave Mustaine, David Ellefson, Marty Friedman and Nick Menza is arguably the best Megadeth lineup to ever exist. That lineup produced “Rust in Peace,” one of the greatest heavy metal albums of all time. There were rumors of this lineup getting back together, but they were silenced when Adler and Loureiro joined the band.

“Dystopia” is a heavy album that moves quickly. It’s the album that many fans were waiting for after “Super Collider” wasn’t as good as it was expected to be. The changes to the lineup has given the band new life and “Dystopia” is played with great energy and passion.

Adler’s drumming and Loureiro’s guitar playing are out of this world. They work well together and with the rest of Megadeth. The guitar solos are spot on and Loureiro’s shredding is mind blowing. All of that hard work paid off because “Dystopia” is on track to be the best Megadeth album in years.

“Dystopia” gives many fans hope that future albums will be of a similar quality. Megadeth hasn’t released anything too memorable over the past decade and “Dystopia” will be an album to remember.