Hawks’ Future is Looking Bright Following Trade Deadline

By Matt Jakubowski | Posted March 14, 2015

150302-car-timonen-600

Every year, when the trade deadline for the NHL approaches, every hockey fan gets worried. Could this be the year that their favorite player gets traded or will everything be alright? This year, the Chicago Blackhawks made some smart moves at the trade deadline to acquire three players that will help the team, especially with the absence of Patrick Kane until playoff time with a broken collarbone. It was looking grim for the Hawks, but the moves made at the trade deadline will help the team to be a top tier team once again.

The three guys the Hawks acquired were Kimmo Timonen from the Philadelphia Flyers, Antoine Vermette from the Arizona Coyotes, and Andrew Desjardins from the San Jose Sharks. Timonen will be 40 years old this year, which had people worried. When guys play into their 40s, they generally have a drop in skill. With Timonen being out most of the season due to blood clots in his legs and lungs, he came ready to play. He had plenty of time to rest up and prepare for his return. There’s no doubt that he will help on the defensive end of things.

Vermette was a huge steal. The Hawks didn’t give up too much and he was one of Arizona’s better forwards. He will definitely help win faceoffs, which is something the Hawks need to do more often. Finally, Desjardins was bit of a surprise. He’s not the best forward, but he is a bigger guy that likes to hit guys, which the Hawks need to protect and stand up for their stars. If they don’t have bigger guys like that, then the stars will continue to get injured.

Overall, the Hawks made great moves that will help the team out. They didn’t give up too much to acquire these players and that’s what most fans ask for. They want to have a better team without losing their favorites and that’s exactly what happened.