Interview with the stars of “Insidious: Chapter 3″, Dermot Mulroney and Stefanie Scott

By Jesus J Montero | Posted June 1, 2015

insidious-chapter-3-poster

“Insidious: Chapter 3” is said to be the scariest film in the “Insidious” franchise. The film follows Quinn Brenner (Stefanie Scott) as she is dealing with the hardships that follow her mother’s death. Quinn reaches out to retired clairvoyant Elise (Lin Shaye) to contact her deceased mother. What they didn’t plan for was something else answering them. Quinn’s father Sean (Dermot Mulroney) is trying his best to keep his family together in a time of grieving, but is now faced with an even bigger problem with what Quinn brought back.

James Wan, the director of the first two films, had to drop out of “Chapter 3” due to scheduling conflicts with “Furious 7.” Leigh Whannell, the writer of the first two films, stepped in to direct and repsied his role as Specs. Returning is also Angus Sampson as Tucker and Lin Shaye as Elise Rainier, the psychic who is the connection to the paranormal world known as “The Further.”

Dermot Mulroney and Stefanie Scott answered a few of our questions about the film.

What first attracted you to your role in the film?

SS: I loved the first two movies. I’m a really big fan of them. To get the email about an audition for the third one, I was really looking forward to it. The character is awesome, it’s written so well and so authentic. She’s a completely different person than she was from the beginning at the end, but she’s not perfect either. You can see her grief and anger. There’s just a lot going on so to me I was just super excited just to try out for it, let alone get the part and work with Dermot, Lin, Leigh. I had the time of my life. It was so much fun.

DM: For me I’ve never done a full-fledged horror movie. A goal of mine as a young actor like Stefanie was to try to do at least one of everything. Now I’m almost 30 years into it, it’s high time. To have the opportunity to join a successful series, these movies take up their own space in the horror movie genre, they really do. People just have an intense love for these movies so anything like that is just a good idea to be involved with. Then when I realized how ingenious the script is where he takes parts of the other two movies and introducing characters in “Chapter 3” that the fans already know but they don’t know how they know each other. He tells us that story in “Chapter 3.” I’ve always loved puzzles. I love movie magic and it seemed like this is a great combination of those things.

Looking at this film, what can you tell us about how the mood and tone of the film was influenced by the musical score?

DM: What I’ve experienced so many times is that I enjoy making the movie, and I have a concept of what the director wants to achieve. Then the day comes that I get to see it with the music on it and its always such an enhancement. It is a unique perception as a musician, but also combine that with being an actor where you wonder how the music is going to come out and how that’s going to impact the experience of watching the movie, and in this case I couldn’t believe what they put together on this score. I thought it was really cool. It doesn’t dominate the movie in any way. It its own character in this story without a doubt, and after that the genius sound design that Leigh managed to put on the creaking floors, cracking bones in the legs .If we don’t hear the music and hear the effects of the sound while were shooting, we just hope it comes together. For “Chapter 3,” he just nailed everything.

You have a number of upcoming projects on your plate, but this is the first film in where we’re seeing you’re in a leading role. What are your thoughts on this new found attention for this big picture?

SS: To me it means everything. I was so grateful to get this part and especially because it was written so well. In horror films, I feel like, as great as they are, they aren’t a real true story where you can really express yourself as a person, but this is really special to me this. It’s done a lot for my career just getting other work. I’m really grateful for all the other films coming out and other stories coming up, too, but this one for me is so special. It’s a really big deal for me.

DM: I can pretty much echo what Stefanie is saying. I’ve seen a noticeable interest within the industry—actually like you described it. The summer that we had last year to have it reverberate for this movie now is so fun. We are as excited to see what people think of it.

Stefanie, your character,out of pure need and depression, reaches out to the other world for her dead mother. Can you relate to what Quinn tries to do in the film?

SS: My relation with Quinn is when I was auditioning for it, something Leigh and I talked about a lot was loss, and someone that I lost was my grandmother. It was a painful one. I sometimes felt that when things were going bad in my life that was really hard, automatically this song would come on that was actually playing when she passed. For me it was a sign that she was around me. Those are actually Quinn’s words in the film, that’s exactly what’s going on with Quinn in the film to a certain point where she’s around her. Obviously for Quinn it ends differently because she reaches out and brings something bad back with her.  For me I think it was kind of the same hurt in the beginning of the movie, the same kind of pain I felt with Quinn.

Dermot, your character is a father who is trying his best to keep his family together in a time they need the most. Can you relate to what he does in the film?

DM: I think this film was strangely personal with all of us. I’m a father in real life so obviously you bring those experiences and those worries to a part like this. My job wasn’t to come in and try to scare people, even though that’s what you see in the structure of the movie. My job was to portray as realistically as possible a caring father struggling with the passing of his wife. I think that was something that was written so brilliantly in this movie that I instantly felt a personal connection to the character. The best thing about this movie the thing that makes it most horrifying is that demon, it’s personal. It’s personal with that demon. He’s coming into my house trying to take my daughter away. It’s not some ghost.

SS: It’s violent.

DM: Yeah, it’s violent. A real entity trying to end your daughter’s life. Put yourself in those shoes, man. I’ll tell you at that point, it gets real personal.

Insidious: Chapter 3 opens up nation wide June 5