La Maldita Vecindad Plays at Ruido Fest 2016

By Jose Burgos | Posted July 23, 2016

13819660_1116781488382718_1247712778_n

On July 9th, Mexican rock band, La Maldita Vecindad, performed at Ruido Fest’s annual 3-day alternative Latin rock show at the Addams/Medill Park in Chicago. This year, the festival celebrated its second year since it’s formation in 2015. Sharing the stage with many other known Latin rock artists, like La Ley and Los Famosos Cadillacs, La Maldita’s performance closed the show Saturday night.

The Collegian got the chance to sit down with 3 of the 4 band members, Roco (vocals), Pato (guitar), and Aldo (bass guitar) during a Q&A for the press. As the band celebrates its 30th year anniversary since its beginning in 1986, they will continue to tour, spreading their love for  music throughout the western hemisphere. The band became a household name during the 80′s when the movement of Spanish rock began. Soon after, the up-and-coming band quickly became popular in the states, ultimately landing its first performance with top artists like Bob Dylan in the yearly 90′s.

Roco (vocals) from La Maldita Vecindad | Photo: Zahid Alvarez

The Collegian asked the band a few questions. One of them was: “you have influenced Latin rock all over the world from the start. Now that the groups is celebrating 30 years of La Maldita Vecindad, will there be a new album out soon? “In response, Roco said the band will produce new music once their 30th year anniversary comes to an end. But for now, they will focus on celebrating the music they’ve produced over the years and continue to expand on the messages their music sends out.

The band believes their style of music has always been modern  and packed with rich culture. That is why they have decided 2016 to tour throughout the Americas spreading their music to everyone. As they emphasized during their talk with us that 30 years of La Maldita Vecindad is a long time ,and should be celebrated as an accomplishment.

As the band prepared to deliver its show, enormous crowds of fans began to arrive to gather around the AT&T Stage. All eyes were at the stage anxiously awaiting the band. Roco, as poetic as he is, talked about politics, referencing to current U.S. politics before diving into the start of the show.

The songs played during the performance where from their compilation album, Circular Colectivo and previous albums, which included “Pachuco,” “Un poco de sangre,” and “Pata de Pedro.”

The overall performance of La Maldita Vecindad was exceptional and one of a kind. Very few bands today have what it takes to create music that projects one’s views and culture all together. The band continues to perform after 30 years of playing together and shows no sign of stopping any time soon.  La Maldita Vecindad will continue to inspire thousand of people and will be one of peoples’ favorite classic Spanish rock bands of all time.

;