Men’s basketball defeats Daley 73-49 to enter conference play at 9-7

By Morton College News | Posted January 11, 2013

The first eight minutes of Morton College’s game January 10 resembled Notre Dame-Alabama with the Panthers ahead 19-0 after the first eight minutes. All five starters and a reserve got into the scoring act, while the Panthers’ 1-3-1 zone defense greatly befuddled visiting Daley.

The remaining 32 minutes featured peaks and valleys on Morton College’s part, but the Panthers’ early dominance was too insurmountable en route to a 73-49 victory at the Henry J. Vais Gymnasium in Cicero.

The win was Morton College’s third straight and moved the Panthers to 9-7 entering their Illinois Skyway Collegiate Conference men’s basketball opener against Moraine Valley at the league’s Tip-Off Classic. Game time is noon Sunday, January 13, at Elgin Community College.

“Obviously, I was pleased how we came out,” Morton College coach Conte Stamas said. “We set the tempo. After we built the early lead, human nature kicked in and we relaxed. We lost our sharpness and focus. Once you lose your focus, it’s difficult to get it back.”

While Antonio Foster wasn’t the high scorer, he contributed in a number of different areas to kick the Panthers into high drive.

Whether it was Foster crashing the boards on the offensive end or completing the fast break, Stamas appreciated what the 6-3 sophomore brought to the table with an 11-point, four-assist, three-rebound night. Foster completed a solid first half with a three-pointer at the buzzer to give the Panthers a 36-18 halftime edge.

“Antonio Foster has been our rock right now,” Stamas said. “He’s really been solid all the way around.”

Jacquez Jones came off the bench to score a game-high 20 points. He had four of the Panthers’ nine three-pointers and was 8 of 11 from the field. Demarius Miller added 19 points and Kijaune Leach had 11 points and six rebounds. Leach put on another show of strength when he scored off an offensive rebound basket with a Daley player clinging to his back.

Konstantinos Doxakis narrowly missed giving the Panthers five in double figures with an eight-point performance. While Kylan Anderson had just two points, he performed well again in the point-guard role with six assists.

Defending co-Illinois Skyway champion Moraine Valley, led by 6-7 sophomore Karrington Ward (a Central Michigan commit) presents a huge challenge for the Panthers. Moraine Valley, 13-3 and ranked 10th in the NJCAA Division II poll, beat the Panthers twice last year – 61-46 and 75-61.

“The things about Moraine that impressed me are their aggressiveness and their toughness,” Stamas said. “They have an edge to them – it’s an ‘I’m coming after you’ mode.

Article from http://www.morton.edu/mc_news/mc_article.asp?ID=1261&nav_id=a6_0