Moving Past the Elections

By Deana M Canaveral | Posted March 27, 2014

Welcome to the first day of the rest of your life.
I first want to congratulate all the candidates who ran for student trustee this year. I want you all to know that you already won the race in so many ways. You each put yourself out there and reached out to the student body in ways that you probably hadn’t before. It takes bravery and dedication to accomplish and for that, you’ve already won.
Now, as someone who ran for the student trustee position last year, I would just like to offer some advice to the new student trustee. Though I have never been in the actual position, I have witnessed both of my sisters go through it and I know the amount of time and dedication this position requires. There are going to be times when you want to give up and, despite that, the work just keeps piling around you.
My best advice is to breathe, calm down and take a mental break. After you rejuvenate yourself, you will be ready to attack and master the tasks in front of you. Also, don’t be afraid to reach out to friends and past student trustees like Sandra Ortiz. They are a great resource that you should take advantage of when you feel the pressure getting to you. Above all, make this an enjoyable experience and one you can remember for the rest of your life!
Now as someone who lost the race for Student Trustee, I want to offer advice on how I approached my loss. At first, I was disappointed. It had become a family tradition to be student trustee and losing it made me feel like I broke the tradition.
As time when on, however, I realized that losing doesn’t mean that I can’t have a voice. Don’t be discouraged by the feeling of loss and despair. You did not lose because you weren’t good enough; you lost because not enough people had the privilege to discover how good enough you are. For me, losing ended up being a blessing in disguise because I got to be involved in more areas than just in one position. Don’t give up and make the best of this upcoming school year!
Having moved on to become president of the Student Government Association, I want to tell the candidates who lost not to fall into the myth that says if you lost, you’ve also lost your will to be involved on campus. Many student trustee candidates that lost from past years have drifted apart from the wonderful world of Student Activities.
I want to tell you that you do not have to be one of those people. This is what true leadership is all about – even if we fall, we still get back up and move forward with an even stronger will to do good. I have proven that you can still be involved and even be the president of one of the awesome clubs at Morton.
I am not the only one who has stayed connected after the defeat. People like Jesus Montero, Briyit Bedolla and others have shown that the first day of the rest of your life can be the best day of your life.