Review: Ruido Fest Doesn’t Disappoint

By Jose Burgos | Posted July 22, 2016

cf8a39a4-cf3d-4da8-8566-e992283c28fe

This year, Ruido Fest,  the newest Latin Alternative music festival, brought together people from all over Chicago and its neighboring towns together for a 3-day show at the Adams/Medill Park near the Mexican community known as Pilsen.

Created to value and expand the cultural richness of Latin alternative music in the Midwest, Ruido Fest brought some of the best artists of Spanish rock to three stages July 8th-10th. The top headliners were La Maldita Vecindad, and Los Famosos Cadillacs.

The show initiated in 2015, with Cafe Tacvba as one of the headliners that year. Quickly, the Latin music festival, unheard of previously, became a must for Chicagoans who attend music festivals around the city. The festival is still in its beginning stages in terms of organization, however it is expected to become a very popular festival in the next few years.

A couple ready to listen to La Maldita Vecindad | Photo: Janelly Acosta

Aside from having artists play a three different stages, the festival also included vendors of all kinds, from food stands, craftsmen, Mexican lucha libre, and even its own fair. Jack Daniel’s provided VIP ticket holders with a fun area that had foosball, cornhole, and much more. If you are able to spare an additional $50.00 to upgrade, the commodities the festival has to offer to VIPs such as air conditioned restrooms ans open space is definitely a bang for your buck.

VIP ticket holders playing a game of foosball | Photo: Jose E. Burgos

Many Chicagoans may think the festival slightly resembles the well-known summer festival, Lollapalooza that is held every year at Millennium Park downtown Chicago. However, taking a walk through the festival, many things immediately surface distinguishing both shows apart. Ruido Fest provides a family environment where families are able bring their children to enjoy the live music, while riding the Ferris wheel.

The fashion at Ruido Fest is no exception. Many women attendees wear patterned embroidered tops with vintage Mexican jewelry. Without a doubt the fashion is embedded in the Latin roots. But that in not to say no one else can attend the festival. People from all backgrounds purchased tickets to the show to listen to their favorite bands.

Jenny and the Mexicats selling their latest album |  Photo: Jose E. Burgos

Organizers of the  festival plan to continue to expand for next year. And although they don’t believe it will be held elsewhere for 2017, they are hopeful the festival will become popular as more people hear of it and become aware of it. It is a goal for the upcoming years to host the festival somewhere that can hold more attendees . Fortunately, regardless of the obstacles, the show was a success a second year bringing together friends and families.