Review: I Finally Got My Own Movie

By Matt Jakubowski | Posted April 21, 2016

dp-coolstory

“Deadpool” was released on Feb 12 and it was everything it needed to be to make Deadpool fans happy. Ryan Reynolds waited many years to play the role of Deadpool in a standalone movie and he finally did it. The biggest problem with making a Deadpool movie was making sure the complex comic character was played properly, and Reynolds nailed the role.

The movie is rated R and most people generally overlook that and bring their young children to see the movie anyway. Even though the movie has been out for a while, young children should NOT see “Deadpool,” even with a parent present. It is highly violent and extremely inappropriate. Yes, it is hilarious, but it’s not the type of humor that children should experience. Reynolds even said that kids shouldn’t see this movie.

Deadpool is not your typical superhero. He has no regard for the rules; even in the comics he knows he’s in a comic. As far as the movie goes, Deadpool knows he’s in a movie and he proves it. He breaks the fourth wall several times and he makes various other comments that would indicate that he knows he’s in a movie. He’s not a good guy and he’s not a bad guy. He’s a mercenary. He’s immature, he has a twisted sense of humor, and Reynolds encapsulates that perfectly as Deadpool.

Stan Lee makes a cameo appearance in “Deadpool” and it only adds to the hilarity of the movie. Much of the beginning of movie is told in flashback form. It’s not a bad thing either because it tells the story of how Wade Wilson became Deadpool.

The movie could have been better, but for what it was, it was definitely worth watching just to see Reynolds bring Deadpool to life. Some of the scenes just didn’t feel like they were necessary and more scenes with Weasel (T.J. Miller) could have had a positive effect on the movie. Miller is a comedic genius and with Deadpool being a walking joke, it would have added to the movie.

Overall, it was worth watching and it was satisfying to know that they were finally able to bring Deadpool to life on the big screen. With two more movies greenlit for Deadpool, it’s hard to imagine what kind of trouble he will get into next.