Review: I’m in Control

By Matt Jakubowski | Posted February 17, 2016

Stanley

In a game where you are limited in what you can do, it’s hard to find it highly enjoyable. That’s not the case for “The Stanley Parable.” Although choices are limited, it still makes for an exceptionally interesting and fun game.

“The Stanley Parable” is an interactive narrative in which you play as a man named Stanley. The narrator of the game tells you what to do and where to go. As Stanley, you can either do as he says or go against him. There are several endings and each one is acquired through different choices made during gameplay. There is no right or wrong way to play the game, it’s just a matter of whether or not you want to follow or not following the narrator’s instructions.

One of the “wow” factors of the game is that if you choose to deviate from what the narrator is telling you to do, he will change the story in order to correct the deviation. There are even points in the game where if you continue to go against the narrator, he will get angry and even sometimes mock you.

As you play the game, you get the sense that you are in control of Stanley—that you are making the narrator look like he’s not actually telling you what to do. But are you really in control or Stanley or is the narrator just giving you the illusion of control?

The more you play the game the more you begin to realize that some things are best left unknown. There are things that are expected, some that are a little uncomfortable and some that are just plain weird. It seems that no matter what you do, the narrator always has something planned for you, even though you feel like you are in control.

“The Stanley Parable” is a game that is very simple to play, but it has so many complicated aspects. The fact that you can make different choices for different outcomes makes it worth playing. You never know what you might find out about the world Stanley lives in. It could be good or it could be bad. The only way to know for sure is to jump into the game and find out what’s in store for Stanley.