Review: Lollapalooza’s 25th Anniversary

By Jose Burgos | Posted August 17, 2016

unnamed

Halsey performing at the Saumsung Stage | Photo: Jose E. Burgos

This year, Lollapalooza celebrated its 25th year anniversary since the show initiated at Grant Park downtown Chicago. Its founder, Perry Farrell, also band member for Jane’s Addiction started the show in 1991. Its always been a three day weekend since the start, Friday through Sunday. Thousands of artists have performed at Lollapalooza over the twenty-five year span. Many artists have first gotten recognition performing at the show. Over the years, the show has become more and more popular with attendees, so much that people wait anxiously in front of their computers waiting for the clock to hit nine o’clock. That is because tickets for the show are sold out within minutes. In 2015, Lollapalooza drew in 300,000 attendees for all three days, that’s 100,000 attendees per day. This year, however, the show was expanded to a four day weekend, starting on Thursday morning. The show turned out to be a huge success, providing attendees with a four day pass, or an additional  chance for those who purchase single day passes. Some of the top headliners for this year’s show were: Red Hot Chili Peppers, Radiohead,LCD Soundsystem, and Ellie Goulding.

The doors opened at 11:00 A.M. Thursday morning. While artists were not playing yet during the early hours of the show, Chow Town Food Court did offer attendees a variety of foods from Chicago’s top food vendors. The food varied from Lou Malnati’s Pizzeria to Harold’s Chicken. With over 100,000 attendees each day, the show is one of the biggest and most popular shows of its kind. So popular, even the president’s daughter, Malia Obama,  has been spotted rocking out at the show two years in a row, causing her to  miss  the Democratic National Convention. It has been rumored that other famour people such as Joe Jonas, Aaron Paul, John Legend, and Bruno Mars have at one time or another stepped into Grant Park to enjoy the festival.

On Sunday afternoon, stuck out from the Samsung Stage from the rest of the artists that day. The twenty-one year old up-and-coming artist Ashley Nicolette Frangipane, better know by her stage name, Halsey, performed at Lollapalooza  for the second year in a row. Halsey has quickly gained more recognition in the last year. In more recent weeks, the young artist has collaborated with The Chainsmokers and released  a new single called  “Closer,” on July 29th. Halsey’s performance was exceptionally well executed. In the midst of it all, Halsey took a minute to speak to her fans by giving out an important message. “This place is not a place for fear, music is not a place for fear” said Halsey. ” And if you’re standing here right now, I hope that you are standing here proud of your race, of your sexually, of your class, of your faith.” The hour long performance was one of the best received by attendees in the  afternoon covering the entire ground. Halsey played “Colors,” “New Americana,” and “Castle.”

That same day, Ellie Goulding closed the show at the Bud Light Stage. It is not often that Ellie visits Chicago on a regular basis, which is why she left Chicago with an unforgettable performance. Large balloons dropped at the start of her show. The hour and a half show was packed with top hit songs, and some acoustic songs as well. Hands down, Ellie’s performance was one of the best from all four days. Among the songs played that night, “Burn,” “Love Me Like You Do” and “On My Mind”  were the best received by fans. Ellie has 10.6 million listeners on Spotify on a monthly basis.

Lollapalooza will be returning next summer for four days, Thursday, August 3 – Sunday, August 6, 2017. Stay tuned for more information regarding next year’s show by checking out Lollapalooza’s webpage, http://www.lollapalooza.com/lineup/