Review: The Force Has Awoken

By Matt Jakubowski | Posted February 4, 2016

tfa_poster_wide_header_adb92fa0

It’s no surprise that the release of the first “Star Wars” movie in 10 years had many people skeptical. For many, the new movie would either be really good or really bad. The original trilogy of “A New Hope,” “The Empire Strikes Back” and “Return of the Jedi” was revolutionary for its time. The second trilogy of “The Phantom Menace,” “Attack of the Clones” and “Revenge of the Sith” were subpar, but it gave backstory to Darth Vader.

With George Lucas selling his production company to Disney, it allowed directors like J. J. Abrams to come in and put their ideas into the next “Star Wars” movie. Abrams knew what many fans wanted and he was determined to make it happen.

“The Force Awakens” is exactly what fans needed after the prequel debacle. The film saw the return of several old characters as well as a fresh cast. Old characters like Han Solo, Princess Leia and Chewbacca acted as a reminder of where the story came from. New characters like Finn, Rey and Kylo Ren gave insight into where the story is going and who the new bad guys were.

“The Force Awakens” is the movie that instilled a new hope in the hearts of fans. The movie left several questions that need answers, but the answers will come in due time. There are more movies coming and anything can happen.

Abrams was able to put out a movie that satisfied millions of “Star Wars” fans. Even though he isn’t going to be directing “Episode VIII,” the hope is that they will stay on this trend and continue to put out fantastic record-breaking films.