Weekend sports summary of Morton College’s cross country, volleyball and men’s soccer teams

By Morton College News | Posted September 5, 2013

1185539_502894113137901_183951565_n

Over Labor Day weekend, Morton College nearly jumbled the NJCAA pre-season men’s soccer rankings when the Panthers fell to No. 4 Monroe Community College 3-2 Aug. 31 in Monroe, New York. It was just the second meeting between the two schools with the first coming at the 2005 NJCAA Division II national men’s basketball tournament.

“It tells me we can play,” Morton College men’s soccer coach Juan Franco said. “The Monroe coach told me after the game that he wished his players could keep possession of the ball like that. There are some things we need to work on, but I’m pretty sure we’re going to have a good season.”

The following day, Alex Monteon scored four times in Morton College’s 8-2 win over Alfred State of New York. Farai Tsingano scored in his third straight game as well.

Franco was very pleased with defender Carlos Leon, who drew attention from Alfred State, now a NCAA Division III member.

The Panthers (2-1-1) resume Illinois Skyway Collegiate Conference action at Moraine Valley Thursday, September 5, in Palos Hills.

Women’s volleyball Morton College accomplished one of two things it set out to do at the South Suburban Tournament Aug. 31 in South Holland.

On the plus side, Morton College landed a player (Cassandra Tijernia) on the all-tournament team. On the down side, the Panthers’ quest to reach the semifinals was derailed in a 25-17, 22-25, 15-13 loss to Rock Valley. The Panthers (3-5) had a 13-11 lead in the deciding third game, but couldn’t hang on.

“We played well, but I’m disappointed we didn’t get into the semifinals,” Morton College women’s volleyball coach Tom Malesky said. “We didn’t show any signs of fatigue, but there were periods where we lost focus.”

Morton College’s day started with a 25-22, 17-25, 16-14 win over Illinois Skyway foe Prairie State. The Panthers then fell to Kankakee 25-17, 25-20 and Rock Valley.

“I was happy to see Cassie be named all-tournament,” Malesky said. “It’s something the other coaches vote on. She deserved it. It was nice to see.”

Cross country High winds, heavy rain and lightning forced the stoppage of the men’s race at the Elmhurst College Early Bird Invitational Aug. 30, but the Morton College women were able to complete their race.

“It went from being hot and humid to it being very dark and rainy,” Morton College cross country coach Gus Coronado said. “The men’s race was stopped about a mile in. All the kids ran for cover. It was very chaotic.”

The women’s team finished 11th of 12 teams in the 4-kilometer race.  St. Francis edged the University of Chicago 34-35 for the top spot, while Morton College came in with 316 points.

“We did well,” Coronado said. “For a lot of the women, it was the first time they’ve run cross country. For their first race, I was very satisfied. Yes, there’s room for improvement and we’ll work on those areas.”

The Panthers featured a 22-second split among their first four runners. Edith Gonzalez led the Panthers with a 19:22.8 finish, good for 105th place. Rebecca Bell (19:23.9 – 107th), Juanita Terrazas (19:35.6 – 111th), Michelle Lopez (19:44.7 – 114th) and Adriana Villafuerte (20:48.4 – 127th) rounded out the scoring for Morton College.

Both teams are back in action Friday, Sept. 6th, at the Bradley Open in Peoria.