Will the Hawks Bring the Cup Home?

By Matt Jakubowski | Posted November 24, 2014

2013 NHL Stanley Cup Final - Game Six

Is there going to be another parade in the near future for the Chicago Blackhawks? There could be, but as of Nov. 3, the Hawks are 6-5-1, currently sitting in fifth place in the Central Division and 17th out of 30 teams in the NHL. The chances of that parade are slim at this moment.

In the off-season, the Blackhawks made a few changes to their roster, though most of the team from last year is still together this year. A major change is the addition of Brad Richards, a veteran center from the New York Rangers who is filling the second line center position.

Richards knows his time in Chicago is limited, but his play thus far has been impressive. He’s not the best guy on the team, but his contribution to the team is noticeable and he can hopefully help the team win the Stanley Cup.

A surprising addition to the lineup was Dan Carcillo. He was with the Hawks when they won the Stanley Cup in 2013, but he was traded during the ensuing off-season. Carcillo has a history of being a dirty player. If he can be a more disciplined player, which he has so far, then he will have a positive impact on the team. Unfortunately, he suffered a knee injury and is out until at least December.

If the Blackhawks plan on winning the Stanley Cup again this season they need to start finding the back of the net. The Blackhawks average 38 shots on goal per game—when a team averages that many shots a game, they need to be able to score.

The Blackhawks don’t have the best goaltending in the league so the offense has to step up and score to put less pressure on the goalies. The season is still young and anything can happen, but if the Blackhawks plan on winning the Stanley Cup for the third time in six years, they need to score more then they currently are.